Sunday, July 8, 2012

Day 8: Book that makes you think

I struggled with which book to choose again today, because I feel that almost every book makes me think, and there are many that make me think A LOT! The one that was my gut instinct choice is the one I am going to go with, though as I try to think how to write about it I realize it has been many years since I have read it, and that I really need to do that ASAP! My memory is not good enough to do this book justice but the book that really made me think is

The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoevsky

(I could not find a cover of the book I actually own but liked this drawing of the 3 brothers)


I was first introduced to Dostoevsky in college when a friend bought Crime and Punishment for me as a gift. I loved it, and read several other of his shorter works and was always impressed. Nothing prepared me, however, for reading this book! The book has so many complexities and story lines happening that it is actually somewhat hard to tell you what this book is "about". It follows these brothers though and deals with the ways in which they interpret and live life. There is much about their theology, philosophy, character, relationships etc. and how they both differ from one another and yet can learn from each other as well.

As I said, it has been so long since I read this book, but the impact it made on me and the hours I spent first devouring it and then thinking about it and realizing new implications that it had for me will always remain with me. I look forward to taking this book down and seeing how a re-read at an older age will make me think even more.



Karissa chose one of my FAVORITES that I have already mentioned in my choices for her book today. Check it out! I love how our choices have occasionally overlapped. It is interesting to see different perspectives on the same things!

No comments: