Monday, July 30, 2012

Day 30: Last book you read

So I admit I had to go to goodreads to find out what the answer to this particular challenge would be. How is that for bad memory? The funny thing is that I have not done as much reading this month as I usually do. Maybe writing ABOUT books took up reading time! :) Ha ha. Anyway I am going to cheat and again and tell you about the last TWO I have read because they were both awesome!

Dear Bully by various authors 




I almost listed this in my collection of stories post and in my favorite nonfiction post. This book is simply short chapters where a different author tells their own unique encounters with bullying. Some of them were the bullies, some had been bullied, and some had seen bullying. The book does a lot in terms of showing people (especially young people) that they are not alone. That others have experienced what they are going through, and perhaps most importantly that life gets better and it is worth it to keep trying. While I have no illusions that a book about it is going to stop bullying from happening, I do believe that words are important - that they can bring about change. I believe these authors used their talents to better the world, and that is always worth doing. Check this book out. It deserves to be read.

The Fallen by Lauren Kate



Also I could not help myself but to include this series in this post as well. The last book I read before Dear Bully was the final book of the series - Rapture



My friend Amanda recommended this series to me and when I saw the cover of the first one I knew I wanted to read them! Dark and yet beautiful...my kind of thing! This series, like most YA books right now, are about the supernatural. Instead of vampires or werewolves, though, they are about fallen angels. The depth of these stories are much better than a lot of YA books and I found myself increasingly intrigued by the world of angels created by Lauren Kate. The idea itself is not a new one, obviously, but I loved reading these books because it was a very fresh way of looking at an old idea. The angels who refused to take a side in the battle between Satan and God are left and dealing with life as best they can. Also there is a huge love story that is so awesomely complex I just loved it. I have not attempted to deal with these books on ANY kind of theological level (just in case anyone was wondering) but on an entertainment level they are great! :)

I have already peaked at Karissa's latest read and it is on my to read soon list!

2 comments:

KKSorrell said...

Wow I want to read that series! I have not brought myself to read any other vampire series since Twilight - I just don't like vampire stuff that much - but these sound awesome!

Amanda Marshall said...

I'm so glad that you read this series and loved them! They are perhaps my fave YA series. Until I read another one at least. And Karissa, they're not about vampires but angels. So go check them out! :o)