Sunday, July 22, 2012

Day 22: Favorite classic

Are you kidding me? I JUST used Jane Eyre two days ago! Two days!! Okay, okay...I can pick another favorite classic but if I had been smart enough to look ahead I probably would have saved that for now! And I just want to go on record saying that several books I have already written about are considered classics and I probably would list them before this book, but I do really love

East of Eden by John Steinbeck


Though of course we could spend hours debating what makes a book a "classic", this one seems to fit the bill in most every regard. I don't remember why I picked this book up, I think it was recommended to me, but I remember just being sucked into the story and drawn up into the conflict and beauty of the whole thing. The story is about two families-the Trasks and the Hamiltons- who every generation helplessly reenact the fall of Adam and Eve and the poisonous rivalry of Cain and Abe. It is an intriguing and thought provoking book that had me mesmerized for days.

I have to make admission here, the better known book by Steinbeck, Grapes of Wrath, I never could get through. I guess I just like what I like, even though often it is different than what the majority of people chose. East of Eden, though, definitely goes down as a favorite and if you haven't read it, you should give it a try.

What is Karissa's classic of choice? Find out here...

No comments: