Sunday, July 15, 2012

Day 15: First chapter book you remember reading as a child

So I have been talking to my mom about this and we cannot actually remember what my first chapter book that I read alone was. There are two series I remember specifically and have always sorted of counted as my firsts so I am just going to give them both to you (I know, I know, I cheat all the time...there are just tooo many good books out there to choose from!) The first, and my original thought for this answer is

Nancy Drew by Carolyn Keene

I remember my friend Sarah Kinney was reading these books and she lent me one. I was hooked!! I made my mom take me to the library as soon as I was done with that first one to see if I could possibly find more. Imagine my delight when my library had a whole bookshelf of just Nancy Drew (well that and the Hardy Boys but I didn't care about that). I read them...I devoured them! I still own a handful of them that I found at a yard sale somewhere. Nancy Drew introduced me not only to chapter books but to mystery stories as well, and I love her for it!

The other books that stand out to me are thanks to one of my teachers. She tested our class' reading levels and found that two of us (me and a boy named Jason that I had a HUGE crush on) tested quite a bit beyond the other students. To deal with this, she had a special rack of books just for us. It was one of those round spinning racks and it was full of little treasures! I remember reading Black Beauty and many others. She would allow us to choose a book and during the other group reading times we could read (though I took mine home and read there too of course) and then when we finished a book we had to do some kind of project (of our own choosing) to show we had completed it. We did book reports, and posters and drawings, all kinds of stuff. It was the best class I ever had. I loved that teacher and that year! My first book with her though was always my favorite

The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis




This book was, is, and will always remain one of my favorites! It introduced me to Narnia and soon I had read all of the books and longed to find the magical land that was connected to ours. I still long to find it! As an adult these books have even more meaning and I find I love them more and more each time I read them.

My mom, ever the practical one, pointed out that these were probably NOT my first chapter books. I am sure I read things like Frog and Toad are Friends (yay!) and other short chapter books, but honestly these are the ones that stick in my mind. They are the ones that led to my great love of reading.

When I saw Karissa's Pick for today I doubted my choices yet again as I totally remember those books as well! Who knows, I am way too old to accuratly answer today's challenge! :)

2 comments:

KKSorrell said...

Like you, I am not 100% sure Ramona the Pest was my first chapter book. I THINK I remember reading it in 2nd grade, and that was the year I started reading chapter books.

By the way, I just read The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood. Have you read that? I had never read it before, and it was awesome! Very well written.

KarlaJean77 said...

I have not read that book, but have been told about it and it sounds really good.