Thursday, April 19, 2018

A New Chapter Begins...

Once Upon A Time...
There was a girl who wanted to be a teacher. No a youth pastor. No a professor.
Well she became a librarian. And she loved it. In fact she adored it. And she is not sure who she is if she cannot introduce herself as a librarian anymore. It feels really weird.

BUT...she quit her job and there aren't that many out there right now. Plus the truth is she keeps saying she wants something different. That she wants to do life different - that she doesn't like the way we live such scheduled lives and spend so much time tied to our work. Her Mom's death cemented that feeling she had always had that a life like that just didn't work for her.

Well...the day after her 41st birthday that girl (spoiler alert...it's me) took 2 state exams for life and health insurance license-sure and passed them both! And then she signed a contract with Liberty National and she will start a new job next Monday.

So....this is not like my dream job. Obviously none of you have ever heard me say I really want to be selling insurance. BUT several things have happened that made me decide to give this a shot. One is the very real reality that this is the only job I have found to date. No other place has even called me in for an interview! I gotta be honest, I did not expect that. Apparently I was mistakenly egotistical but I expected more response to my education and experience than I have received. Which has been nothing. So...there is that. But it is more than that. When I went to the interview and met the woman who owns this branch of Liberty National I was very drawn to her. One reason is that in talking we realized that both of our mothers passed away - from cancer, in August of last year. That just blew me away. Talk about someone who understood! She was actually promoted to the level of "owner" the day before her mother died. Also when she explained to me what things attracted her to this job initially it was all of the same kinds of things I have been saying I want - flexibility for things that are important to me, better pay (if you work hard), working on your own, working to help people etc. We really had a lot of similar feelings and goals about the work place in general.

There are some things about this job that I do NOT like as well. The biggest...it is totally commission based. TOTALLY. As in no salary, no benefits. Nothing. If I don't do well, I fail. On the other hand - if I work hard and do well, I can continue to make more and more.

So....we will see. At this point I figure I really have nothing to lose. I am going to go for it for a couple of months. I am going to live with Sylvia in Old Hickory and continue to stay with Dad in Manchester quite a bit both until I see how it is going. It will take a few days for my license to come in but...if you are thinking of updating your supplemental insurance - this is your girl....not a teacher, youth pastor, professor OR librarian at this point. I am excited to see how/if this chapter will play out but apparently this is what a brand new insurance agent looks like





1 comment:

Sam M said...

I wish you the best of luck on this new adventure!