Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Day 4: A Book That Makes You Cry

Okay so anyone reading this post who knows me knows that this is a silly category for me because EVERYTHING makes me cry! I cry at commercials...almost every day. I am a crier. Happy tears, sad tears...whatever. I probably cried. It's just the way I am.

But to pick one book that I KNOW will make me cry every time was not difficult. Once again it is a Young Adult novel, and one that has always been a favorite. The book that makes me cry is

Little Women by Louisa May Alcott



This book is wonderful because it brings you to all kinds of tears. Some of my saddest moments as a reader have been with the passing of dear sweet Beth. And rather than making it less sad, I think I am more sad each time I read it. She becomes more and more dear to me and my loss feels greater and greater.

There are happy tears to be found in Little Women as well, tears of triumph and tears of pride and joy. There are also other heartaches to be found in the pages. And I, as a self proclaimed weeper, cry them all. I feel them all and I would not have it any other way. Though making me cry is not as hard as it might be for some other people, it is still something to strive for. If a book cannot make you cry with the characters, then what kind of book is it really?

I love to enter the world of books. I want to be a part of their world. I long to weep, both in sadness and in love, with characters such as the March family. They are what make book reading worth while.



Here is what makes Karissa cry!

1 comment:

KKSorrell said...

I am the same way - I cry over a lot of books!!! I cry at commercials, too. :) I really like what you said toward the end - if the book doesn't grab you emotionally and want you to be part of the story, it's not that great of a book!