Thursday, July 19, 2012

Day 19: Book that turned you on

Wow...now we are getting exciting! LOL...what book turns me on? Well probably different parts of a lot of different books. I love the men in my books (although as I discussed a few days back, I usually like the bad boys not the heroes). But actually, because I read mostly YA books I don't usually get turned on. Well maybe sometimes but...okay let me think. I would say, looking over my bookshelves that I would probably pick

The Sookie Stakehouse Novels by Charlaine Harris



Now the funny thing about this post being right after yesterdays post about books that embarrass me, is that I guess in some ways they are not that different. They are both series about supernatural beings that focus on vampires but also include other things (werewolves etc.) These books, though, while very silly are still well written. They are not great and they will not be classics....ever. There is a story that is worth reading and following, though and her characters are not just big ole sluts. Well...not all of them anyway. These books are definitely less risque than the Anita Blake books, but just risque enough that I would say they turn me on.

As expected, I do not like the main male hero of the book Bill. He annoys me. Sometimes the main female (Sookie) annoys me too but that is a whole different issue. The counterpart to Bill is Erik. I adore Erik. He is the mean vampire. The "real" vampire as far as I am concerned. I kind of hate all of these vampire books that make their male vampires wimpy nice guys. Hello...vampire....the undead, sucks peoples blood to stay alive...there needs to be a little bit of roughness to a guy like that! Erik has it. He has a heart too, though, and the best soft spot for silly little Sookie. I love him.

There are other men in the book as well and I like them to varying degrees. Unlike Anita Blake, Sookie does not sleep with all of the men and she certainly does NOT sleep with them all together! LOL! But some are interested in her and some she is interested in at various times (as it is a series it spans a long period of time) and some are just other guys who live in their town. I also like that these books will tell the stories of other people as well and don't focus ONLY on Sookie.

These books are the basis of the HBO show True Blood.

This is a picture of their version of Erik...they do pretty good actually, but when the show first started he had long gorgeous hair (as he does in the book). Apparently the actor had another role he needed to cut his hair for so they wrote that in the show. Sigh...oh well.


True Blood is pretty racy so that will give you an idea of what these books are like, but truthfully they hammed it up for HBO. I have seen the show but enjoy the books MUCH more.

Don't forget to see what turns Karissa on

No comments: