Friday, July 13, 2012

Day 13: Book whose main character is most like you

You know how some people get upset because they say all blonds or all short people or all whatever are not the same....well I have never felt that way about red heads. There is just something special about being ginger....and it binds us all together. I say that because the easy answer to which character is most like me is....all the redhead ones! :) I love to read about a red haired heroine. I think it is, at least in part, because when I was younger there weren't many. Redheads were seen as the awkward ones, the wicked stepsister type characters (Cinderella....it's the worst). I am not sure why red heads have such a bad name in literature. But I love the ginger characters!

That being said there are many characters, ginger or otherwise, that I have felt were "like me" over the years. Meg in a Wrinkle in Time reminds me of me mostly because her younger brother makes me think so much of my younger brother, though there are many other reasons as well. I decided not to choose that book again, though, and instead pick

Still Life With Woodpecker by Tom Robbins

If you are looking for a weird book, Tom Robbins is your man. His work just twists my mind in a million directions every time I read one of his books. My favorite book by him is actually called Half Asleep in Frog Pajamas, but the book I listed above has a character that is so much like me it is WEIRD. I mean....like kinda freaky weird. I remember when I finished reading it commenting to someone that I was a little worried that perhaps the book was indeed about me and that one of my friends (or possibly just a stalker) was using the pen name of Tom Robbins.

The character in this book is not only a redhead, but a redhead born in April. (my birthday is April 18th). I have never given a whole lot of thought to the validity of your birth month having anything to do with your personality before, but this character Leigh-Cheri, has so many of the same traits as me that it kinda makes me wonder. Now I have to admit that it has been a lot of years since I read this book and that I feel I have changed quite a bit in those years. So if I were to read this book again, it might not strike me with such force, but it is still definitely the winner for today's challenge. I looked up a summary of the book which referred to her as a redheaded vegetarian liberal princess and former cheerleader. I was never a cheerleader, but if I had been I probably would have gotten kicked off (as did she).

I usually end my blog with telling people to GO READ the book I have discussed. This one I would hesitate to recommend to every one. Tom Robbins is a very liberal thinker and writer. If you don't like to read about sex and liberal lifestyles...he is probably not for you. I will say, though, that every book of his I have ever read has made me think about things in a different light and helped me have a more open mind about things (like I needed that right? ha ha). This character that I say is just like me is actually NOT just like me in a lot of ways, but there are enough similarities that I found myself a little creeped out reading 'about myself' in some ways. If you do read it (and if you know me) let me know what you think about our similarities!!

Karissa thinks THIS book has a character just like her...who do you identify most with?

No comments: