Sunday, July 29, 2012

Day 26: Favorite nonfiction book

So anyone who is paying attention will realize this is in fact NOT day 26 but rather day 29 and I am VERY behind on my posting! Please forgive the lapse...I hurt my back and have been unable to do much of anything for the past 4 days. In fact now I am only able to finish this b/c I have moved a laptop into my bedroom so I can stay in bed and yet still be on the computer!

So the challenge this time was for favorite nonfiction book. Confession time again, I do not like reading nonfiction materials. For me reading is either about learning or enjoying. There ARE a lot of books I read for the sake of learning that I suppose I could list as nonfiction, but I think that would be stretching things a little too far...so instead I decided to go with one I have read in recent times.

They Poured Fire on Us From the Sky by Benson Deng, Alephonsion Deng and Benjamin Ajak



Each year I set a reading goal for myself, and for the past several years my goal has been 52 books (or more), which averages out to one per week for the whole year. The past 2 years, however, I have added a second goal which is that at LEAST 12 of the books (approximately one per month) would be nonfiction. While I never want to begin a nonfiction book, there have been many that ended up moving me a great deal, and this one is probably pretty much at the top of that list.

This book is the true story of three 'lost boys' from Sudan told in thier own words. Each of the three boys tell of thier own particular experience, sometims they overlap with one another, while other times they are torn apart by circumstances. The tales are stark and heartbreaking. The innocence and questioning of these children as they deal with such hardship is beyond imagination. This book literally hurt my heart to read, and yet I am so glad that I did. I have heard about the lost boys, I have heard about things in Sudan, but I had never made it personal. I had never cared about particular children or actual villages that were being murdered and burned down. I had never stepped away from my priveledged white class American self long enough to hurt for these people.

They deserve our hurt. They deserve our help and our apologies for not helping sooner and/or more. These three boys brought back in me a passion for helping thoes who truly cannot help themselves. Those who are for reasons totally out of their own control in danger and in poverty and live with fear. This book reminded me how important it is to help, in ANY way. It reminded me to pray though I do not know the names to pray for, to give though I wonder how I can pay my own bills, and to love even when it will never

3 comments:

Amanda Marshall said...

I can't wait to read this. But your post was cut off at the end. I want to hear the rest of your thoughts! ;o)

KarlaJean77 said...

I believe it just said love though it will never directly benefit us. It is a great book and I think you will love it in the same heartbroken way I did!

KKSorrell said...

I really want to read this now!