Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Day 25: Favorite book you read in school

I think when most people see this they immediately think of high school reading lists. I read some good stuff in high school (I read some crappy stuff too) but my favorite book that was ever assigned to me was in college.

The Promise by Chiam Potok



As a new religion major at Trevecca the first class you take is called Biblical Exegesis. This class teaches you the basics of studying theology, which is very different from any other kind of study or research. One of our first assignments was a book review of The Promise.

The Promise is the story of a boy who, much like our class, was studying theology. Reuven Malter, however, is learning the Talmud and is struggling against a system of Jewish tradition that is both zealous and rigid. The more Reuven learns, the more he begins to want to explore beyond the lines that have been drawn about the appropriate ways to study and the appropriate things to learn.

Little did I realize at that time how applicable this was to be to my own experience in studying theology. I wondered at first why we were reading about a tradition that was not our own. I quickly learned, though, that when you chose to study something that is tied to a belief system it is always going to be a struggle, regardless of which system of belief that might be. Reuven found (as did I) that just because he had always been taught a certain way, did not necessarily make that the most true or correct way to learn. He struggled to find a way to be true to his tradition and yet also true to his academic searching and need to push beyond what is already known. This prepared my class and I for the struggles we would have as our learning pushed beyond what our homes and churches believed and had taught us.

I have read several other Potok books since this one was assigned to me so many years ago. Most of them deal with this same inner struggle to be faithful both to the past and to your own unique future. I am no longer pursuing theological goals in my life. Though I do sometimes miss that part of my life, I have made decisions for myself and my situation in life (as well as my family) that have led me down a different path. In a way this book helped me to prepare for that change as well.

Life is always moving, always changing and therefore always a struggle of sorts. Chiam Potok illustrates these struggles (and rewards!) in a beautiful way. These books are not just for Jewish people, they are not just for those going into theological study, they are for everyone.

Karissa chose another favorite of mine for today's challenge, but I was never lucky enough to read THIS book in school!

No comments: